Econo 4 Rules
2023 Sumter Speedway Econo 4
This is a STOCK class designed for STOCK cars. Its purpose is to be economical (cost efficient and a fun division to compete in. This division will be monitored closely to ensure that all vehicles abide by this rule package. It is not a class solely for beginners.
This is a new division and there may be some areas that need to be clarified as it grows. If there is a question about a rule or rule interpretation, ask first, do not assume anything.
- Cars will remain stock in every aspect unless otherwise stated
- Must be a stock 4-cylinder, front wheel drive car (no vans or trucks allowed)
- Automatic or manual transmissions allowed
- No rotary, turbo, or VVT (variable valve timing) engines allowed. (ie. No Vtec, No Spec V, etc)
- Vehicle must remain completely stock for make and model used
- All glass and flammable material must be removed
- Minimum weight for all cars is 2200 pounds.
⁃ 150 hp max. Engines will be checked using readily available sources (internet, shop manuals, etc)
⁃ Cavaliers will be allowed to run a safety hub on the right rear. Caravan hub, aftermarket or whatever else is available. Must be done correctly and safely.
⁃ Track reserves the right to add an air restrictor to any car that dominates in order to keep the class competitive.
- Stock, front wheel drive production cars only
- No all-wheel drive or all wheel steer cars allowed
- Must have quality-built, MINIMUM 4-point roll cage inside of car. The main 4 point, interior cage cannot have ANY sleeves, kinks or missing welds. If you have any sleeves, kinks or missing welds, you will not be allowed to race until they are replaced.
-Minimum of 3 driver door bars
-Bars can be ran to the front engine compartment but must remain behind the radiator. Radiator core support can be replaced with 1” tubing. Tubing must be welded to body/fender support; cannot be welded to frame horns. No bars past radiator. Bars can be run to rear of car but cannot extend past the STOCK, METAL rear bumper.
- Radiators can be braced for support
- No push bars or fabricated bumpers allowed. Must have stock type metal bumper
- Body must be as stock as possible. Stock type bumper covers required. No aftermarket bumper covers
- Body must maintain original dimensions, standard as from the manufacturer. HOLES in body panels must be covered with aluminum. Aluminum patch cannot exceed 12” x12”. Doors can be attached with aluminum strips, strips cannot exceed 2” wide, doors MUST be welded under aluminum strips
- Floor pan, trunk pan, front and inner wheel wells must remain stock and in stock location
- No decking allowed
- All body panels must remain (must have trunk lid, hatch, etc)
- Hood must be held shut with a minimum of two hood pins
- Fabricated dashboard allowed
- Doors must remain in stock location and be welded shut in an approved manner, can be gutted for cage clearance
- Fenders and quarters should not be trimmed for tire clearance and must remain stock
- Sun roofs and open roof tops must be covered with steel, no openings should remain exposed
Suspension and Brakes
- All suspension parts must be completely stock for car used
- No cutting or lightening of suspension parts allowed
- All suspension components must remain in STOCK location, no alterations of any kind allowed
- No slotting, heating, bending or any other alterations allowed.
- Springs MAY NOT be heated or shortened to lower car
- Must have stock springs and stock struts
- No adjustable strut bushings or altering of stock location on shocks or struts
- No camber plates allowed
- Functional four-wheel OEM brake system must remain stock with no bias adjusters or shut offs allowed.
- All braking components must remain stock for make and model of car used
- All suspension MUST BE STOCK and mounted in STOCK location
- Engine must be completely stock and remain in stock location
- No VTEC, Spec V or any other variable valve timing engines allowed.
- No Cosworth or rotary engines allowed
- No quad-four engines allowed
- No turbo charged or super charged engines allowed
- All engines must be used in the make or car they were manufactured
- Cylinder heads must match engine used
- No aftermarket or high-performance components will be allowed in the engine or drive train
- Stock carburetor or fuel injection system for make and model of car being use
- No oversized injectors or alterations to throttle body allowed
- No grinding or polishing of any engine components allowed
- No advancing of cam timing allowed
- Stock exhaust manifold for make of car being used, NO HEADERS allowed
- No tuning, chipping or alterations to the ECM allowed. Track reserves the right to impound any ECU and send it off for anonymous testing. Our tuner has asked to remain anonymous.
- Engine must hit rev limiter at factory specifications for make and model of car used. Rev limit can be checked under load, on the track.
- Stock production air filter element required. No high performance will be allowed (K&N ok)
- No cold air system allowed
- Cone type must be bolted to intake. No holes in the end of the filter element; holes must be completely covered with tape or something similar
- May run stock automatic or manual transmission
- Transmission must match make of car
- Must run stock torque converter for car used
- No locking of differentials allowed. No stock or aftermarket LSD allowed.
- Fuel cell recommended. If stock fuel tank is ahead of rear axle, then it may be used. If stock fuel tank is behind rear axle, then it must be removed and replaced with maximum 8 gallon fuel cell, enclosed in a steel can, mounted securely and centered in the trunk area. If a fuel cell is used, you must run bars from the main hoop to the rear of the car to protect the fuel cell.
- There must be a metal firewall between fuel cell/tank and driver’s compartment
- If the car runs an electric fuel pump, then it must be wired to shut off when the car is not running
- No nitrous systems of any kind allowed
Wheels and Tires
- Must run stock steel or aluminum wheels
- No aftermarket or racing type wheels allowed
- No wheel spacers allowed
- Tires must be street legal, DOT stamped tires.
- No racing tires or special-order tires allowed
- Sumter Speedway reserves the right to disallow any tire from use in this division
- Engine can be claimed for $1,000 (must finish on the lead lap and directly behind the driver whose engine is being claimed. Only top 5 cars are eligible)
- Computer can be claimed for $150 (must finish on the lead lap and directly behind the driver whose computer is being claimed. Only top 5 cars are eligible)
-Safety is the number one priority
- All cars are subject to a pre-race safety inspection before being allowed to compete
- Racing helmet is required
- Fire suit, racing gloves and racing shoes required
- A 5 point harness, properly mounted per manufacture’s specifications is required. Submarine belt is REQUIRED.
- Fire extinguisher required
- Racing type seat required. Full containment seat required in 2024; all cars in all weekly classes. Tubular bolt on kits may be allowed IF we can find a safe option. I will post more info on this ASAP
- Head and Neck restraint system strongly recommended
-No weight break for full containment seat and/or HANs type device
- FULL window nets are mandatory.
- Firewall between driver and fuel cell/tank is required